Degree shoe time has arrived - so it's time to get nostalgic with my own work from last year. I found some of my presentation boards for a third year project that I didn't manage to fit in my digital portfolio. But with all those hours that go in uni project, it doesn't seem right to hide it - even if the outcome wasn't my best work.
I am no longer a student as of Tuesday last week. It was a nice occasion to catch up with people, having gone our separate ways after the Eden exhibition opening back in early July. It was an equally good opportunity to splurge on a nicer fabric and decided on a floral cotton lawn with blues and greens to compliment the “Cornish gold” hood.
As mentioned in a previous post, the pattern was self drafted but strongly inspired by this sundress from a Seamworks article. There was tiny piping along the neckline, around the armscye as well as showing off the front bodice panelling. These panels were cut on the bias, which were intended to allow me to fit in a celebratory meal with ease. The dress finished just above the knee and I’m pleased that the gown was open enough to show off the dress. There was also a bag made with matching floral lining.
The degree show happened back in early June. The work was only open to the public for a weekend. These panoramic photographs show the studio in a quiet, calm manner when it was the opposite for 99.9% of the year.
End of year exhibition for 2nd years happened this past Friday in the studio. A nice way to end the week, after several late nights of finishing off work. Only have a business plan left to write before summer.
The finished outcome of a joint project with Safia Megatli. The project report is done, exhibition boards are printed and the walls are freshly painted. The only thing left to do is to put the work in the space.
The photographs show the details of the weaving and wood joints as well as the combination of the two materials together.
The whole process was documented on a separate blog, in which we kept a record of how long it took to make: from spinning the yarn to lathing the legs. More photographs of the entire process are also over there.
Quick illustration of a concept I’ve been working on for Lowe Alpine. The presentation was Thursday of last week and not only was the head designer of Lowe Alpine present, but so was Sir Kenneth Grange! I’m pretty sure I didn’t present as I had planned but I got good feedback and they both liked the prototype that I had been working on. The final presentation is in 2 weeks time so better get working.
Currently working on a live project with outdoor company Lowe Alpine. Had a very brief visit to the Lake District before breaking up for Easter and we were so lucky with the weather. After pitching few ideas and getting a tour around the office, we got the bargin of the century in their showroom and were able to purchase samples packs for a fiver. Then we got to sport the S/S 14 pieces up the Old Man of Coniston. Also, got my hands on a lot of free fabric. I’m planning to use some of it for non-university related things! Can’t wait for Easter when I can break out the sewing machine without feeling guilty.
A life cycle analysis tool we used in preparation for some Lowe Alpine idea generation