For this project, I decided that a structured woven t-shirt would suit the fabric best. Whilst the fabric is described as a poplin, I'd describe it better as a jacquard. The white side of the fabric is definitely the "right" side, with the grey side of the fabric being the "wrong" side - the way it's been woven, the grey threads are "floating" in the back, much like in colour-work knitting. It's also a mid-weight fabric.
It took a while to decide what to make with this fabric because of the weight and structure. I did prewash the fabric before cutting into the fabric. I felt that it softened up a little but it still felt quite crisp. I'd changed my original plans from making a hacked Hemlock tee to an Inari tee, purely because I thought this fabric didn't quite drape enough to work with a grown-on sleeve (rather than a set in sleeve). The Inari was the perfect substitute because it still has the boxiness, but the short cuffed sleeves give it structure I was looking for. I also think that a Willow tank would also be a great match for this fabric too.
No major pattern changes here! I lengthened the body 1.5 inches so it didn't turn out too cropped. I also used the "floats" on the wrong side of the fabric to hand sew down the neckline facing so no stitches were visible from the right side - and I remembered to include a label!
I'm really pleased with how my Inari tee turned out. Looking at my photographs, I should really take it back to the ironing board to get out those stubborn creases. Despite this, the fabric presses nicely. The neckline finish couldn't be neater, and the cuffs add a really nice detail. It's a comfortable fabric to wear too, as you'd expect with an organic cotton fabric.
With the pattern, I could probably do with sewing up the next size since the shoulders don't quite hit me at the right point. I've also read reports of the arm scye causing problems, which I'd also agree with. I'd like to make this pattern again and when I eventually do, there'll be some pattern hacking to get it to fit me better.
I also used the leftover fabric from both this project and my last one to make a tote bag. The gabardine and poplin combination has made for the perfect everyday bag. The two fabrics just happened to visually work so well together - and I have no problem wearing my matching jacket, top and bag all together :)