The first make of the project: a chambray shirt dress with no sleeves, fitted bodice, full collar, gathered skirt and 10 buttons.
Following a store bought pattern and fabric bought from a relatively new sewing studio in town, this dress was the outcome. I skipped testing the pattern and in this case, shouldn’t have. The waist was an inch too low and the bodice needed taking in at the sides. Having gotten as far as attaching the button plackets, I had a lot of unpicking to do to fix these issues.
I took special care over finishing the insides neatly. Flat fell seams were used on the side seams of the bodice and skirt, a facing was used to conceal the waistband’s innards and matching handmade bias tape was used around the armscye.
Not a perfect make, but I’m still pretty pleased and it’s already been worn several times. Extra fabric could be taken out with the darts and the armscye could be cut into for a more flattering shape. I’d originally intended for sleeves but messed them up in the process so decided that I didn’t want them anyway. A future version could (and should) be made in black and white polka dot, preferrably a crepe or viscose. And with sleeves!